Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Passover




As you all know, my descendants are Jewish/Italian and Filipino. The Jewish side is my mother's well that side is quite primitive/strict Jewish family and up to now still observes Jewish tradition like the passover.

Passover is the religious festival that celebrates the deliverance of Israel from the bondage of the Egyptians. The term is derived from the Hebrew pasach which means "to pass over."

Well there are two main commandments associated with this holiday and it is eating matzah, or unleavened bread and the prohibition of eating any foods containing leavening during the holiday. Well Bubbe (My grandmother) told me that in ancient times there was a third and that is the offering of a lamb in the evening on the 14th of the Hebrew month of Nisan (Which also known as Abib) and the eating that night of the Passover sacrifice.

There are also other customs that is associated with the Passover and that is the eating of bitter herbs and other foods at the seder celebration. While many reasons are given for eating matzah, the most popular tradition is that it recalls the bread the Israelites ate at the time of the Exodus in their rush to leave Egypt, they did not have time for the bread to rise.

I know there are many people throughout the world who celebrate the Passover feast. The customs vary for each culture. Though, as I have mentioned above, some may have celebrated the Feast before Israel existed, the Israelites are the first explicitly recorded to keep it. The Jews have continued to celebrate it to this day...

I have found a great site, it's www.ModernHaggadah.com, I am really excited to share this to Bubbe! It is a Haggadah for Jews & Buddhists. Haggadah is about the Jewish liberation from slavery in Egypt, as described in the book of Exodus in the Torah...

The site is very informative... Specially for someone like me...

I know my relatives on the Jewish side is going to be happy, because I have been showing interest in my heritage and culture...